Search This Blog

Thursday, August 22, 2024

Reminisce

AROUND THE HOUSE
Do you remember:
your mom sprinkling clothes to iron?
Mellorine...the 'ice cream' that doesn't melt?
partylines
lightening rods
having relatives over and playing horse shoes or croquet
Parents playing cards with friends

Businesses in Gage in the 1970s

Airport Cafe
Brown's Sundries
C E Sharp Lumber Co
Cresswell's IGA Grocery
Cresswell's Movie Theatre
Dimension Plastics
First State Bank
Gage Airport
Gage Locker
Gage Service Station
Ishmael Holstein Dairy
Ken Johnson Trucking
Lilly's Beauty Shop
Lois's Chatterbox
McNeil Grain Co
Mechanics
Molen's hamburgers
RA Ford & Son Feed Ruffin's Department Store in Shattuck

Are there others you remember?

SCHOOL DAYS What do you remember?

When school started after Labor Day.
Husky pencils and Big Chief tablets.


Alarm clocks were wound the night before.

Frosted Flakes for breakfast (wasn't Tony the Tiger our mascot?)
The big yellow bus with no seatbelts on the green colored seats that were prone to tearing.
The excitement of learning to read.
getting in trouble for talking in class.
The taste of white paste in a white plastic jar.
LePage Mucilage glue, in the bell-shaped bottle, resembled maple syrup. Pushing down the crusty, rubber tip often resulted in a mess.
Anticipating Scholastic book orders.
Recess
School picture day.
Desks arranged in rows facing the front where the teacher taught us arithmetic, English, history, science, and writing.
learning math and grammar rules by rote and recitation from textbooks and chalkboards with eraser dust.
Maps, charts, and educational posters on the walls.
An audio-visual projector wheeled in and the flicker of the television when we watched the moon landing.
Bomb/fall out shelters.
Weekends...Saturdays- Mighty Mouse cartoons!
Yearbooks captured fleeting moments frozen in time.
Line up at the drinking fountain after recess.
What was your favorite lunch time food?
The distinct smell and purple ink smudges from the mimeograph (ditto) machine.
Vaccinations at school.
Paddling was commonplace.
Dodgeball games, foot races in the auditorium.
The excitement of basketball games.
Home Ec, Latin class, slide rules, shorthand, shop class, typing class, and Drivers Ed!
Male teachers wore neckties.
Girls finally getting to wear slacks in school.
Bell-bottom pants, tie-dye shirts, and mini skirts.

In the early 1960s we were allowed to bow our heads and ask a blessing over school lunches and milk (whole or chocolate) was an option.  Lunch periods provided a break for socializing while we ate:

Cafeteria lunch: fish Sticks, goulash, breaded tomatoes, stewed prunes, macaroni and cheese, pimento cheese, salmon (remember the 'bones'?),beans and cornbread, hamburgers with crumbly meat, sloppy joes, meatloaf, mashed potatoes, and gravy, Dinner rolls with jelly in a squirt bottle, Fruit cobbler (peach, apple) chocolate/peanut butter squares, peanut butter cookies with the fork marks.

John Prine song: All the Best


AROUND TOWN

Do you remember this sound??
Farmers in bib overalls

THE FALL
weenie roasts

Later....Summer Days

marbles,
three in one oil for skates (skate key)

SONGS YOU MAY REMEMBER...BUT MAYBE NOT THIS WAY:
...A few misheard phrases and song lyrics from popular songs, hymns, and carols:

"There's a bathroom on the right."       (There's a bad moon on the rise. -Bad Moon Rising, Creedence Clearwater)
"The girl with colitis goes by."         (The girl with kaleidoscope eyes. - Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds, The Beatles)
"Crimean River."         (Cry Me a River .-  Cry Me a River, Julie London)
"Bring me an iron lung."     (Bring me a higher love. -Higher Love, Steve Winwood)
"Mama don't take my clothes 'n' throw 'em away."     (Mama don't take my Kodachrome away.- Kodachrome, Paul Simon)
"You make the best homemade stew around." (You make the best of what's still around.
-When The World Is Running Down, The Police)"I'm a pool hall ace."    (My poor heart aches.- Every Step You Take, The Police)
"Gladly, the cross-eyed bear."      (Gladly The Cross I'd Bear.-Traditional Hymn)
"Excuse me while I kiss this guy."       (Excuse me while I kiss the sky.- Purple Haze, Jimi Hendrix)
"Dead ants are my friends; they're blowin' in the wind." (The answer my friend is blowin' in the wind.-Blowin' In The Wind, Bob Dylan)
"Midnight after you're wasted."       (Midnight at the oasis.- Maria Muldaur)
"Sleep in heavenly peas."     (Sleep in heavenly peace.-Silent Night, Christmas carol)
"I blow bubbles when you are not here."   (My world crumbles when you are not here. - I Try, Macy Gray)
"I got no towel, I hung it up again."     (I get knocked down, but I get up again.- Tubthumping, Chumbawumba)
"She's got a chicken to ride." (She's got a ticket to ride.- Ticket to Ride, The Beatles)
"You and me and Leslie."     (You and me endlessly)- Groovin', The Rascals)
"I'll be your xylophone waiting for you." (I'll be beside the phone waiting for you.- Build Me Up Buttercup, The Foundations)
"Are you going to starve an old friend?" (Are you going to Scarborough Fair?-Scarborough Fair, Simon and Garfunkel)
"Baking carrot biscuits." (Taking care of business.-Takin' Care Of Business, Bachman-Turner Overdrive)
"Donuts make my brown eyes blue." (Don't it make my brown eyes blue.- Don't It Make My Brown Eyes Blue, Crystal Gale)
"Got a lot of lucky peanuts." (Got a lot of love between us."- Let's Hang On. Frankie Vallee and the Four Seasons)
"What a nice surprise when you're out of ice."    (What a nice surprise bring your alibis. - Hotel California, Eagles)
"Hope the city voted for you."     (Hopelessly devoted to you.- Hopelessly Devoted to You, Grease)

"Just brush my teeth before you leave me, baby." (Just touch my cheek before you leave me, baby.- Angel of the Morning, Juice Newton)
"Sont des mots qui vont tres bien ensemble; tres bien ensemble." (Sunday monkey won't play piano song, play piano song.- Michelle, The Beatles)

Mark Selby on Youtube
Mark Selby (musician) - Wikipedia

Quote of the Day: “We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” – George Bernard Shaw
Share your memories: @gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment